Minutes: Post Committee Meeting 1.14.2020 with changes

Muscogee County Democratic Committee

Meeting Agenda

Date: January 14, 2020

Call to Order: The assemblage was called to order for the purpose of conduct of elections by Chairperson, Laura Walker at 6:30 P.M. The election was intended to fill vacant seats in Post positions for Districts 2, 5, 7, 8, 9 and 10 as well as the 1st Vice Chair. Of the vacant Post seats only 5, 7, 9/10 had candidates and these candidates were running unopposed. Accordingly, a motion was made and seconded to allow these candidates to be elected by acclamation. The motion was approved unanimously by the Post. The Chair then moved to conduct the election for 1st Vice Chair. The two candidates running for 1st Chair, Tonza Thomas and Karen Huntspon, were given an opportunity to address the Post. Paper ballots were distributed, collected and the counting team adjourned to tally the votes.

Verification of Quorum: According to the sign in sheet there were 35 people in attendance. 33 Post members and 2 Non-Post members.

Post members were in attendance: Val Almonard (10), Tammy Bailey (2), Vivian Bishop (3), Juanita Booker (4), Judy Brouillette (8), Adrian Chester (9), Deborah Davis (2), Edna Foster (6), Mary Garcia (7), Par Green (1), Mattie Hall (3), Sandra Hunley (10), Karen Huntspon (9), Marjorie Jackson (9), Ilene Kent (10), John Land (7), Patricia Lassiter (4), Ella Lewis (1), Tom McDaniel (10), Pam Parker (2), Rick Parker (10), Dominick Perkins (10), Teddy Reese (9), David Smith (2), Tonza Thomas (3), Reginald Thompson (4), Toyia Tucker (9), Gloria Tyson (4), Laura Walker (1), Charrise Woolridge (1), Bill Edwards (5), Royal Anderson (7), and Nicholas Rulon (10).

Non-Post members in attendance: Sharon Kuecheameister, Sharonda Hubbard, and Freddie Williams.

Post Members who were excused: Gayle Daniels (1), Linda Parker (3), Aslean Florence (4), Ruth Carpenter (5), Adam Drucker (5), Deborah Lowry (5), Ralph Jones (6), Harry Underwood (6), Doug McLeod (8), and Walter Nesbitt (8).

Post Members absent: Saundra Ellison (9), Shawn Gatewood (3), Korie McDougal (6), Murphy Pound (7) and Ozia Scott (6).

Reading/approval of minutes: The Minutes were sent to the Post prior to the meeting via e-mail and US mail. The Chair made printed copies of the minutes available if needed by any Post member. The Chair solicited the Post for any corrections additions to the minutes, there were none. Teddy Reese (9) made a motion to approve the minutes as written. Pat Green (1) provided the second. The Chair called for a vote and the Minutes were unanimously approved.

Correspondence: Tammy Bailey, Corresponding Secretary, reported that there was no correspondence to report.

Treasurer’s Report: The Treasurer’s report was provided to the Post prior to the meeting via e-mail and U.S. mail. The Chair made printed copies of the minutes available if needed by any Post member. The committee reviewed the Financial Report submitted by Treasurer, Marjorie Jackson. Current bank balance as of 1/6/2020 was $4, 312.62. The Chair asked for any discussion. Judy Brouillette (8) asked about the rental on the storage unit. Marjorie Jackson reported that it is $100 a month. Judy would like to find another unit that is easier to access than our current building. The Chair asked Judy if she would be willing follow up with the storage rental company for another building. Judy agreed. A motion was made by Teddy Reese (9) to accept the report as presented. Juanita Booker (4) provided the second. The Chair called for a vote and the report was unanimously approved.

Committee Reports

Standing:

  • Bylaws Revision: Rick Parker (10) By-Laws Committee Chairperson stated that he had nothing new to report. A set of draft By-Laws went out to the committee members as well as to Dominick Perkins (10), Chairman of the Affirmative Action Committee to review and make recommendations. Dominick and Rick will get together and make sure that Affirmative Action is covered.
  • Financial Strategic Planning: Marjorie Jackson (9), Financial Strategic Planning Chairperson reported that the committee has not met yet. She has sent them paperwork to review. The committee has a meeting planned for February.
  • Fundraising – January True Blue Breakfast: Prior to the start of the business meeting. Laura discussed current status of ticket sales, whether the event needed to be cancelled due to lack of response, solicited assistance from the Post and encouraged everyone to buy tickets. Informally, the following suggestions were made have the event even if there are not 200 in attendance and some additional Post members volunteered to help with the event. During the business meeting, Laura reminded everyone that the MCDC must sell at least 90 tickets in order to break even on the event. Tammy Bailey (2), encouraged everyone to buy t-shirts if they cannot attend the breakfast. Laura originally planned for the True Blue Breakfast to feature candidates from both Senate seats that are up for election in 2020 but that proved to be too difficult to coordinate. She informed the Post that she may ask the Fundraising Committee to plan an informal event for those individuals later in the calendar year. Laura said that she still plans to have the True-Blue Gala in the Fall.
  • Communications – Laura reported that a social media person is needed for the MCDC Twitter and Instagram platforms.
  • Affirmative Action: Dominick Perkins, Chairperson, did not have a report. Laura suggested that he reach out to Events and Education to see if an Affirmative Action event could be added to their schedule of events for General Membership meetings.
  • Events & Education / Membership & Outreach: Toyia Tucker (9) Chairperson thanked the assembly for the toys that were donated at Christmas for “Reach 4 Your Dreams.” Tonight there will be a debate watch party at Lemongrass. Toyia solicited the Post volunteers for the Martin Luther King Jr. Day events to be held in downtown Columbus on Saturday, January 18, 2020. Finally, she announced that the General Membership meeting on February 11, 2020 will be held at the Citizens Service Center on Macon Road. Nancy Boren, Muscogee County Election Supervisor, will hold a demonstration of the new voting machines at that time.
  • Campaign & Candidate Support: The DPG is running a “Contest Every Race” program targeting people who might be interested in running for office. Contact Laura if you are interested and were not contacted. The group received 2,000 replies to a text blast that they sent out. Laura will host a couple of events for the people that responded to receive training; one in the evening and one in the afternoon on a Saturday.

New Business:

  • Chair would like to form new ad-hoc subcommittee: Voter Outreach 2020 Laura announced that she will be appointing new subcommittee chairs where appropriate for this calendar year. She encouraged Post members who would like to serve as committee chairs to contact her. She informed the Post that she would like to form an ad hoc subcommittee entitled Voter Outreach. Pat Green (1) made a motion that a Voter Outreach committee be formed, and Toyia Tucker (9) seconded. The floor was opened for discussion and since there was no discussion, Laura called for the vote which was unanimous.
  • Candidate visits: Ted Terry, Richard Winfield in March Laura announced that Senatorial candidate Mayor Ted Terry (who was unable to attend our True Blue Breakfast) will be coming to our March Post Committee meeting. Also in March, Richard Dein Winfield, Senate candidate for the second GOP held Senate seat will come to that meeting to speak to the Post as well.

Announcements

Laura informed the group she received an email from Senate candidate Maya Dillard Smith with a request speak to the MCDC. Laura invited her to come to the True Blue Breakfast. Ms. Smith was the chair of the Georgia ACLU (4 years ago) and she stepped down because she felt pressure to resign due to her support of the controversial “bathroom bill.” The floor was opened for comments about asking her for a position statement about her support of transgendered people. Several Post members did not want to put Ms. Smith on the spot at what is hoped to be a fun informal event for the Post and the Candidates. It was decided to ask all the candidates the same questions.

Laura asked the Post to suggest any questions they would like to ask the candidates. Two suggestions were; discuss a position they have been wrong about or if they have had an evolution on a past position, and employment rights. Newly elected Post member, Royal Anderson (7), suggested that Laura make an online survey for the Post to submit questions so people can respond anonymously. Laura will make a mail chimp survey and will post the results from the poll to the Post.

Adjournment

Announcements:

  • The results of the election for 1st Vice Chair were shared with the Post. The Chair reported that Tonza Thomas was the winner and would fulfill the 1st Vice Chair vacancy on the Executive Board until the end of the current board term, December 2020.
  • Rick Parker (10) made the motion to adjourn the meeting and Tonza Thomas, 1st Vice Chair, provided the second. The Post voted unanimously to adjourn. The meeting was adjourned at 7:30 P.M.

Harry is the webmaster for the MCDP.

Tagged with: , , ,